Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Length of Arm, legs linked to memory loss !!!!

Below is an article I read in TimesOfIndia on 7th May 2008. Read this and tell me does it make sense !!!
Scientists study 2798 people concentrating only on their Length of Arm and Legs and come to such conclusions!!!! Amazing !!!

Please read the article below.... (copy pasting from TOI 7th May2008. Can be accessed from epaper.timesofindia.com and open the International Page)


Length of arms, legs linked to memory loss
Chicago: Having short arms and legs may raise a person’s risk of developing memory problems later in life, US researchers said on Monday. They said women with the shortest arm spans were 50% more likely to develop dementia and Alzheimer’s disease than women with longer arm spans. And the longer a woman’s leg from floor to knee, the lower her risk for dementia. In men, only a shorter arm span was linked with higher dementia risk, according to the study. The researchers said several studies have suggested that early life environment plays a role in susceptibility to chronic disease in later life. Short limbs may be a sign of nutritional deficits early in life that play a role in brain development. “Body measures such as knee height and arm span are often used as biological indicators of early life deficits, such as a lack of nutrients,” said Tina Huang of Tufts University in Boston, who led the study. Other studies have found a link between limb length and dementia in populations in Asia, and Huang wanted to see if the trend would hold true in a US population, where 80% of height is thought to be inherited. She and colleagues studied 2,798 people for an average of five years and took knee height and arm span measurements. Most people in the study were white, with an average age of 72. By the end of the study, 480 had developed dementia. “We found that shorter knee heights and arm spans were associated with an increased risk of dementia,” Huang and colleagues wrote. REUTERS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter