Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Utlra Launches 2 new models : Marathon and Marathon Lite

Ultra has launched 2 new models in India.

Aptly called Marathon and Marathon Lite these offer longer distance on every charge.

Details of Both the vehicles are below:
(I have picked the details from the following website: http://ultramotor.com/India/Products/ProductList.aspx?gCountryId=2)


1. Marathon
Speed 25 Km/ Hour*
Range 100 Km/ Charge*
Vehicle weight 82 Kg
Battery type SLA Battery (SLA is sealed Lead Acid battery)
Operating voltage 250 W
Battery capacity 48V / 24 AH
Tires 16 x 3.0
Front suspension Front Fork Telescopic Suspension System
Brake type Front & Rear Drum Brakes
Extras Odometer,

* Under Standard Test conditions and a payload of 75 Kg.

Note: Marathon comes in 2 colors: Grey and Blue

2. Marathon Lite
Speed 25 Km/ Hour*
Range 70 Km/ Charge*
Vehicle weight 81 Kg
Battery type SLA Battery
Battery capacity 48V / 20 AH
Tires 16 x 3.0
Front suspension Front Fork Telescopic Suspension System
Brake type Front & Rear Drum Brakes
Extras Odometer,

* Under Standard Test conditions and a payload of 75 Kg


My View
I think it is a VERY GOOD step. Ultra realized that India does not have so many charging stations and in cities like Bangalore, where people travel about 35KM on an average (I clock 42-45 in a day) it makes more sense to have an electric vehicle which travels longer distance !! I am happy.

Am I ecstatic: Actually no.
I had 2 grievances with the electric vehicle:
(a) Its range (previously it was 50 under test conditions !!!)
(b) Its speed.

With Marathon, my first problem is solved. Now with 100 KM per charge, I have lot of breathing space.
But I am not too happy with the speed. At 25Kmph, I would look like a snail on the road.

Will I buy:
My Heart says go for it. But somewhere my mind says wait !! if they have solved my first problem, I am sure they will find a solution for my second problem as well. I am sure the lack of good speed is on the minds of Ultra folks and they will work towards it to improve the speed.
If the speed is increased at least 40Kmph (like ultra velociti) and the range is 100 Km I am game to it.


BTW:
Read of the following website: http://www.evfuture.com/ that Ultra Motoros is planning to launch an electric 2 wheeler which would look like a bike with a milage of 100KM and speeds upto 80Kmph !!! interesting !!!

:)
Amit

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter