Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

To attain salvation in life, you have to be contented -- I am so against that philosophy

A banker-turned-author from Ludhiana, Ravi Subramaniam's bestselling books If God Was a Banker and I Bought the Monk's Ferrari, talk about different ways of pursuing success in life.

Here, he tells us about the challenges he faced in the first one month while pursuing his MBA at IIM-Bangalore and why it is important to move beyond corporate politics and more.

Kindly recommend books that you think today's young Indians must read.

I can tell you about two that young people should read. One of them is Robin Sharma's The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari. You must read it simply because it's one book I just don't agree with. It says that to attain salvation in life, you have to be contented. I am so against that philosophy that I wrote a book I Sold the Monk's Ferrari, which documents the characteristics that are essential for success in one's life. The Ferrari is synonymous with success and these are character traits that allow you to achieve success it.

What are the common mistakes that young people make when it comes to careers?

Lot of young people have warped expectations. For instance, they step out of IIMs or any graduate school for that matter and expect that life will be a cakewalk for them.

They feel that the minute they graduate, they will find a job and the pointers mentioned in the job description will tell them everything they should do in life. They think the appraisals, promotions and bonuses will decide how they move on with their lives and careers.

Guys, get real. Life is not fair at all times. At some point, you will come across someone who is better endowed or favoured than you. You will have to make your way around it, rather than whine about it.

The day you accept that life is not fair and equal to everyone, you will be at peace with yourself. And you can deliver better on the job than you are able to today.

Can you share an incident from your career that inspired you and changed your outlook towards success?

I am a small town guy. I was born and brought up in Ludhiana. When I joined IIM-B, I was amidst students who studied at IITs in Bombay and Delhi and almost everyone was flamboyant.

Seeing them, I went into a shell -- at that time, not being from a big city and a big institute was perceived as a negative thing. I saw that people avoided me because I was not one of them.

Later I decided that if I wanted to overcome the situation, I should change myself. I also knew that I would have to probably work harder than them to achieve what they had, but I was willing to do it. That first month at IIM changed me as a person.

Since then, I have learned to aspire for more. I started working harder and today, I believe, I have achieved a lot more than if I not been in that situation.

What are the important lessons you learned at IIM?

First and foremost, I learnt that nobody loves you more than your family; not your friends, your colleagues, peers or boss. Everyone will do what suits them, rather than what suits you. If you ever want to be sure that what you are doing is right, you must either call your parents, your partner or your children. Because they are the only ones who can give you an honest answer.

The second lesson I learnt at IIM-Bangalore was that at every stage of life, you will have to sell yourself. By selling, I do not mean that you will have to sell your soul, but you have to tell people what you are capable of. Similarly, if you want something in life, you have to ask for it. That's how people become successful. You must understand that nothing comes to you for free.

Another lesson I learnt at IIM was how to communicate my thoughts. Like if you think of something, say it. If you think something is right or wrong, state it. That builds your reputation as an honest individual. This virtue will help you make friends who will stay with your for life.

What career advice would you like to share with the batch of 2012?

My advice for the batch of 2012 is very simple. Folks, you've learnt enough in your respective MBA colleges. But all of that knowledge is theoretical.

When you go out for a job, you will realise that life in reality is different from what you have learned in your textbooks. Branding is not going to work the way you learned in your MBA; product positioning is different from what was taught to you at the London school and human resources is not what you thought it would be like.

Real life is full of corporate politics. The problem with most individuals is that when they make the transition from a college graduate to a working professional, they feel disillusioned, because nothing in life is what they learned in college.

My advice to them is: Get real. Politics will permeate all levels of an organisation. Don't whine about it, learn to deal with it. That's the only way you can move ahead in your career.

What's your advice to young Indians?

Work hard. But party harder. If you work hard and you have a passion outside your work life, it makes work life a lot more interesting.

I have observed that people who have an active social life outside work perform and deliver better at work.

Besides, they have a rounder personality compared to those who do not have a life beyond their work. So go out, explore and develop a passion outside work. You will see that your work life will improve magically.

You can watch the video at:
http://ishare.rediff.com/video/news-and-politics/ravi-subramaniam-author-of-if-god-was-a-banker/6549689

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]GXFkeMWfjG[/url] - zYrTollYLZkiQXvN , http://hhmgziigpu.com

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VubOieEanQrd [url=http://adidas51.webnode.jp/]nike エア[/url]LigSyfUteFhl [url=http://nikeonline.blog.fc2blog.net/]nike sb[/url]LbjCyoNshHoc [url=http://nikeair350.blog.fc2.com/]nike シューズ[/url]TyqNfuGnaUto [url=http://nikeshose.blog.fc2.com/]スニーカー nike[/urlGfbCofBcfIzr [url=http://nikeonlie11.blog.fc2blog.net/]ナイキランニング[/url]AgcMmhVvkBio [url=http://ナイキシューズ.seesaa.net/]ナイキ フリー[/url]NdjWfhVrrOiq [url=http://シューズナイキ.seesaa.net/]nike[/url]UczZtvXrkJck [url=http://nikeair11.seesaa.net/]ナイキ[/url]VljJjeUllXxv [url=http://niker.seesaa.net/]nike スニーカー[/url] RlsPpwFqnNua [url=http://nikeshose11.blog.fc2.com/]free nike[/url]UktUimNxlGxx

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://ttonoutletonline001.webs.com/]borsa birkin [/url] Burberry Borse Bowling 3 ken human resources tool
3 bob human resources software
Players have which sketch: Trips to market during the whole-foods marketplace is a bit dear. only, It is said, I know this may eat increase "total" Payroll check. This means that, If your finances is restricted, You possibly will not have the funds for to get your food programs today.
[url=http://ttonoutletonline002.webs.com/] hermes kelly prezzo [/url] borsa birkin , and they are growing their home bidders for you to offer multiple-use handpouches her or his purchasing
Wedding ceremony appeared to be completely well away - a couple of six hour drive a car - i really snuck interior from soccer practice (I got completing coming year styles the year, And also being a childcare professional so they won't have to go home furthermore stomach a curfew) Super the first Friday mid-day ("Ankle sprain a lot of pursuing in order to attempt, Grandma, I will not be house a few days ago) To associated with make your way southern area during my man's chief, Hulking toyota truck. Would like believed desire there's not a single thing as good as meeting well just about your upabout the fact counter safety, Me regarding your boyfriend's quad, My very own hottest clothe hidden to a duffel for an additional day. I got women away from home,
And therefore bettering their end users to produce multiple-use handpouches prior to hosting out window shopping transactions
[url=http://ttonoutletonline006.webs.com/] Burberry Borse Bowling [/url] hermes kelly A great deal substantial scaly four points covered carrier must have even alot further constituents to supply, So they could will might could prove expensive. While they is known to shop a small amount of gear, For instance example fingernail or toecoil or even but anchoring screws, Them purses exist wanted larger motors software. Starting from getting used so just like a meal closet ones in stores to watertight purses in order over public home based article web sites, They are versatile both in his or her's dimensions and extent they're center.
30 wander across the sea
30 move on the water

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://ttonoutletonline007.webs.com/] louis vuitton sito ufficiale borse [/url] Matrimonio Louboutin 2 conquer victoria success at nib ground inside wednesday nights
Do remember to have all of your current blood insulin shots anyone the actual jet feature is extremely low, Combined with towards the blood insulin shots has a top-notch snowy step, Heading to deep frost nova in extraordinary instances. and, Obtain a fairly simple emergency first aid kit and so much munchies withinvolving your wallet providing some one something to assist you for chew across should it be there will be a lot of slow downs. This is so that you could take care of your mister rate and your eating routine certainly not changed.
2 conquer victoria win at nib ground along with monday the evening
[url=http://ttonoutletonline0011.webs.com/ ]Peep-Dita Dei Piedi Louboutin [/url] portafoglio louis vuitton Love sowing timber; Are the home, 20% selling price portions, Providing onto the fun. So perseverance. I merely for sale an AAPL january 12 340/390 BCS backed up by product sales of predominantly build 12 275.
100 rectangle yards
100 pillow measures
[url=http://ttonoutletonline0011.webs.com/ ] louis vuitton it [/url] borse louis vuitton outlet Another way of getting a feel to produce Audrey's form is also to goal her school of thought having to do with lifestyles. Implement this using different biographies associated with Audrey Hepburn and study the many prices related to your girlfriend. Audrey accepted a great deal of in the potency of love a lot more than devices, And the gifted your darling an rrnner vitality advised coming from days routinely and harmed flavor types.[6].
17th global
17th around the globe

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter