Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Movie : Crossing Over


Cast: Harrison Ford, Ashley Judd

This movie is a ensemble of lives of many immigrants who want to get naturalized as citizens of the United States of America.

It is the story of a Jew who does not know a thing about Hebrew and wants to become a citizen as a scholar of Hebrew.
It is the story of a 15 year old Muslim girl (Summer Bishil) (her parents spoke Bengali in the movie, so I presume she depicted a Bangladeshi immigrant) who had sympathy towards the 9/11 attackers. She gives a talk in her class urging her fellow class mates to not treat the attackers as cowards but as brave people who believed in something and tried to fight for the cause. She claims that she does not justify the 9/11 attacks but, that, the other voice should also be heard. This talk leads to the FBI landing up at her house.
It is a story of a Chinese, play station playing boy who gets involved in a grocery store robbery which goes horribly wrong. He was supposed to be naturalized the next day.
It is the story of a Chinese girl who works in a factory as an illegal immigrant. When the police raid the factory she pleads to the officers for her release. She has a son who is with a care taker.
It is the story of an influential Muslim family. The head of the family is a know figure in the society, whose son is a lawyer and the other son works as a cop. He will be naturalized the next day. The head of the family has a Chinese daughter (I am not sure how he managed one though). He is not very happy with her mannerisms.
It is the story of a small time Australian actor (Alice Eve) whose visa is expiring. She cannot renew her visa because she has not paid the money in time. She bumps into an official of the immigration who is ready to process her file and help her with a green card as an acclaimed figure. But she has to pay a price.
It is also a story of Harrison Ford who is a police officer (with a heart) who is part of a team which tries to catch illegal immigrants.
It is the story of a lawyer (Ashley Judd) who fights for the immigrants who happens to be the wife of the immigration officer.


My Impression
=============
Very though provoking movie about immigration and naturalization of people in the US.
I was so engrossed in the movie that I never felt that it was a movie. I felt as if I was part of the whole story and i was living the story along with the characters of the movie.
I think it deserves a watch.

Cons
====
I am not sure what exactly was Harrison Ford doing in this movie. The movie could have stood on its own without the support of Harrison Ford.


Rating
======
Story : * * * * * * *
Acting : * * * * * * *

Overall : * * * * * * *
(7 out of 10)

Note: There are some explicit scenes in the movie.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter