Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Livemint: Indian Consumer Survey - Part 11

This blog post deals with the part 11 of the 33 part series on Indian Consumer Survey. It deals with the section C4 from the below figure
This section of the society is Married and lives in a joint family. The chief wage earner is generally in his middle years (hairline is gradually receding :) )



(c) livemint.com

Some salient points about this section of society:
==>There are close to 900,000 households comprising of about 5 million people in India who fall under this bracket. They make up about 1.5% percent of urban population.
==> The wage earner is generally between 35-54. However the 25-34 also make-up a significant part of the lot. The families are generally big with 5 or more members. ==>The spouse is generally not working (only 17% of the spouces are working). In 40% of the households there are atleast 2 earners (possibly father and son or brothers etc).
==> Income in these households is around Rs2.85 lakhs. 60% of the people live in their own house. 14% of the C4 households (ile 14% of 900,000 households) earn Rs 10 Lakhs or more.
==> Education Profile: 60% of the chief wage earners have a graduate degree. 21% have postgraduate degree as well. Rest have finished their schooling and have some diploma or certificate.
==> Education, Helthcare and Social Work is the profession for most of the people. Second largest section of C4 is self employed : Family run businesses, Lawyers, Doctors etc. 3rd Most preferred section works in public administration.
==> Major expenditure for C4 is Medicine, School/College Fees. Parents have a strong desire to get their kids educated in very good english medium schools and they wont mind paying the premium school fess for that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter