Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Energy Crisis: Car that runs on Water !!!

Read an article that one company called Genpax has designed a car that runs on water....

The article about this can be read at:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/13/genepax-shows-off-water-powered-fuel-cell-vehicle/

Even rediff ran an article on this:
http://in.rediff.com/money/2008/jun/25car1.htm


Now if you read the first article they talk about something called Membrane electrode assembly (MEA) which is supposedly used to break water moluecules to hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen thus generated in stored in fuel cells and then using fuel cell technology the car runs !

Now the fuel cell technology part is fine.. what is fishy is the MEA. Now to split water into hydrogen and oxygen without using energy, you need to use a metal which will assist in breaking the molecule (which is what is being referred to in the article..) This metal will immediately get a layer of its oxide in this process of generation of hydrogen. Now
(1) you have to device a mechanism to scrape off the oxide layer from the metal
(2) also with time the metal slab/piece will get completely oxidised. You will have to replace the metal !!!
so where on earth did you invent a drastically new solution ??

Some articles debuffing the technology are:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/06/genepax-water-powered-car-japan-debunking.php
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06/15/is-genepax-for-real-a-car-that-runs-on-water-highly-unlikely/

Amit

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amit,

I am Rajesh from SiliconIndia. I am also an avid blogger for a while now and participating actively in Indian blogosphere. I read your blog posting and found them very interesting and informative. We would love to see a copy of your blogs posted here, whenever you are posting it on blogger.com. Here are some of the benefits of posting your blogs here:

We have a strong community of 500,000 Indian professionals
Best blogs of 2008 to be published in a book "SiliconIndia bLoG PrinT"
Best blog to be printed in SliconIndia & SmartTechie magazines each month
Chance to be featured on homepage everyday


We appreciate your community initiative here and in helping build a more powerful India! Also, if you have any ideas or want to volunteer to help for SiliconIndia, we would be more than excited to get your help.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter