Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Two Interesting things I observed today

(1) Jim Rogers Interview on commodities on UTVi
Rahul Arrora from UTVi was interviwing Jim Rogers about commodities and the current commodities rally.
Without going into details here is the jist:
(a) Jim Rogers has sold most of his stocks and invested heavily in commodities
(b) Jim Rogers believes that anyone can start a new company in his/her garage. But you cannot start a new mining company or increase limited commodities.
(c) Rogers Commodity fund has given returns to the tune of 400% compared to stocks which have given returns to the tune of 40%.
(d) He is slightly positive on China and does not believe on India growth story. He feels there is only talk and no action as far as india is concerned.

Rahul arora kept on asking if the current oil prices are speculative or they reflect the true value and Jim Rogers kept on telling him that Oil futures are future contracts of the price of oil and how can commodity prices be speculative ? ( :))) )There can be some speculation but the price basically represents the demand for crude. Since there is limited supply of crude, the rally is justified.

He also felt that one should invest in index funds which invest in commodities rather than investing in commodities directly.

Interesting take indeed !!

(2) Sports page of Times of India Mysore Edition:
I was coming back from Mysore today in our desi volvo Airavat bus. For some reason I have developed an aversion for Bus. As soon as the bus starts moving, my gut starts acting very weird. I have decided I will NOT travel in bus in ANY form in future. Unless I have no other option.
In order divert my attention from the nausea, I bought today's edition of The Times of India. By habit I turned to the Sports page first. The Sports headline for the day was the intense match between Serena Williams and Venus in Wimbledon. Almost 1/2 page review on the way Venus beat Serena. The next article on the sports main page was the most awaited match between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal which is to be played today. Another article discussed the possibility of Federer and Nadal playing as doubles partners !!
That more or less summarizes the Sports page. I turned to the second page and surprise surprise !!! I see an article on the India Pakistan Finals of Asia Cup to be played. The article had a small photograph of dhoni with the standard words woven to complete the article !!!
Can you imagine this !!! An India Pakistan cricket finals gets a measly 2nd page review and that's IT !!!! and Wimbledon covers up the whole of Sports page !!! I cant believe it !!! when was the last time this happened !!! let me guess... I think it was sometime in the late 80s or early 90s then Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg used play. When Jimmy Conners and Johm McEndroe where at the fag end and Jim Courier was emerging as a good player. When Pat Cash was desperately trying to make a comeback. When the whole of India Cheered for Martina Navratilova. When Steffi Graf was jumping leaps and Bounds. When some Monica Seles was touted as the potential competitor to Steffi Graf. When Gabriala Sabatini and Steffi Graf were always regulars in the quarters/semis. When Agatha Sanchez Vicario would spring up a surprise semi finals entry now and then and disappear...
Then came Sachin Tendulkar mania which pushed Tennis to the also rans... Cricket reached its peak in the late 90s and early 2000s. As early as this year T20 revolutionized the way cricket is played. Other forms of cricket seem to have taken a beating. No wonder an India-Pakistan 50 over match has become an also ran match.
But Wimbledon making a comeback on the main sports page is a welcome change !!!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was watching the Jim Rogers Video on http://utvi.myrecourl.com and I believe Rogers had an interesting point while answering Rahul's question on crude oil. The fact that no new oil fields have been discovered for over a decade now justifies that the current price surge is based on actual demand rather than just a speculation.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter