Welcome to Amitkeerti's World

I am a SW Engineer by Profession and a blogger by choice. I am a voracious reader and like to give my opinion about what i read. I try to convery my thoughts in a way that is meaningful and responsible. In my blog you would find me the way I am. I love to write about my take on the Society in general, Finance, day-to-day interesting events, me, inspirational thoughts. More about me as you read my blog.

Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Novel : P.G. W odehouse : Piccadilly Jim


My wife is a big fan of P.G.Wodehouse and she wanted my to read one. So this time when I went to the library i did inny miny maina mo and picked Piccadilly Jim by P.G. Wodehouse.

Needless to say that the moment I started reading I was pulled into the magic of P.G. Wodehouse.
A Jist of the book is as below:


As usual Jimmy is at it again. His misadventures are in the newspapers again. Aunt Nesta Ford Pett would not have been bothered much about this but for the fact that her photo was printed next the news article and the article referred Nesta as the Aunt of Jim and Jim was branded as Piccadilly Jim.

Aunt Nesta Pett (previously Nesta Ford) is a Famous Fiction writer in the America. She married Mr. Peter Pitt who runs a company. Jimmy is the step son of Eugenia, Nesta's sister. Eugenia stays in England and is a very famous figure in the UK. She married a small time theater actor Mr. Bingley Crocker. Jimmy aka Jim Crocker is his son and hence Euenia's step son.

Nesta was very upset when her sister had married this small time actory Mr. Bigley Crocker. She had called upon Eugenia and told her that she would no longer talk to Eugenia for what she had done. But the acts of jimmy made it impossible for her to tolerate any more and hence she left London to meet Eugenia and get Jimmy in America so that she can let Jimmy work in Mr. Pett's office.
Nesta travels with her husband and Mr Petts niece Ms Ann Chester.
When Nesta reaches UK, Eugenia insults Nesta and asks her to return back to america.
In the mean time Jimmy Crocker has been involved in another brawl with Lord percy and it has made headlines. Jim's butler informs jimmy that he is in the newspapers again this time. He finds the brawl humourous and talks to his father about the news article. But this time jimmy's father is not amused by the article. Jimmy is surprised that his father did not find the article funny. Then he realizes that probably his acts were not proper.jim is remorseful and decides to leave London to avoid any further insults to his father and his step-mom.
When he is going around on the streets he bumps into Ann Chester. He saves her life. She has had a brief encounter with Jimmy about 5 years and she hates him to the core. But she has never seen him so she does not know that the man who saved her life is actually the same jim croaker.
Jim in the meantime books a ticket for the next boat to america. he bumps into ann again.
jim's butler arrives at the dock to see off jim. Ann mistakes jim as the son of Mr. bayliss the butler.
what follows next is a series of interconnected strange events which leads to a dramatic finish.

My Impression
==============
I was impressed by the first wodehouse bookthat I read. Wodehouse is a great story teller. He has woven the story wonderfully.
These are very interesting layers of stories within the story. Woodhouse keeps the pace of the novel going througout the novel. He connects the characters and events in a very nice way. All the events and characters culminate to a very interesting and humorus end.

All in all, a great book to read.
In 2004, a movie was made based on the same book.

I would give a 7 out of 10 for the novel. Wodehouse fans should read this book.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free web counter